From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to keep my system from (nearly) freezing?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:22:56
1 On 170219-13:53+0100, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > sometime I have some memory hungry ebuilds in the background, when I
5 Ebuilds are just text files, they don't run in the background...
6
7 > start (e.g.) Chromium which needs very much memory if you have a lot of
8 > open tabs.
9 ( Chromium is the most privacy-invading browser ever. It's a spyware, I
10 could never use it, but forget about that, it's not what this topic is
11 about... )
12 > In that case my system nearly freezes. I cannot even kill chrome.
13 > What can I do in that case. (Remote login doesn't work either)
14 Try Ctrl+Alt+Fx
15 where x is one of F1 ... F6
16 and then issue:
17 # killa chromium
18 >
19 > Can I have any additional program (like Chromium) die if there is not
20 > enough memory.
21 >
22 > Many thanks for a hint,
23 > Helmut
24 >
25 This could be a hardware, not a software issue. Also, not sure, but
26 looks like, not a memory issue, but a CPU issue.
27
28 It's likely the CPU triggers the BIOS to shut down because CPU gets too
29 hot, but because it is not properly implemented, what happens is even
30 worse than doing nothing, and that is: the system freezes, but the CPU
31 keeps running... Bad!
32
33 How warm does you machine, try to touch it in the back, or under, if
34 it's a laptop, where ther CPU is?
35
36 It reminds me of what I had. My systems, that had only the original,
37 run-of-the-mill coolers on the CPUs (I bought a few of same model MBO,
38 so i can clone my systems)... The usual 80mm coolers.
39
40 As soon as I replaced them with 120mm coolers, no issues any more.
41
42 Regards!
43 --
44 Miroslav Rovis