From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my machine too old for virtualbox?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:03:03
1 On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > OK, I got the VirtualBox software going, but I really wanted to get
4 > OS/2 going. When I launched the VM, I got the warning...
5 >
6 > > VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not
7 > > operational. Certain guests (e.g. OS/2 and QNX) require this feature.
8 > > Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS
9 > > of your host computer.
10 >
11 > I ignored it and went into the OS/2 install. You will be glad to know
12 > that Reiserfs managed to recover nicely, without any data loss, after I
13 > totally locked up my machine <G>. When I say totally locked up, not
14 > even the Magic SysReq Key got any response.
15 >
16 > There doesn't seem to be anything in my Dell's BIOS setup about VT-x.
17 > Is there any software that can probe the BIOS and enable VT-x, assuming
18 > it exists? If not, I'm out of luck for OS/2 on this machine.
21 Maybe check Dell's site to see if there are any BIOS updates for your model.
22 On my Dell Optiplex 745, there was no virtualization option in BIOS until I
23 upgraded to a newer revision (and it was disabled by default!).