From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I determine the processor type?
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 04:30:39
1 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 09:42:42PM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> From my understanding, someone correct me if I am off here, AMD sort of
5 >> beat Intel to the 64 bit thing. So, it sort of got named amd64 even tho
6 >> Intel came along later on and the name just stuck. That's a very short
7 >> version of the story and I think that is how it went but someone may
8 >> come along and correct something.
9 > I sort of knew that, but I haven't kept up with all the processor
10 > names, and linux the kernel merged x86 and amd64 in some fashion, or
11 > was it x86 and x86_64? /usr/src/linux/arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage is a
12 > symlink to the x86. It's all very confusing, and one of the gentoo
13 > docs says iCore2 is Xeon, so what do I know about iCore7?
14 >
15 > Kernel compile finished, 16 minutes (SSD sure speeds it up). I'll
16 > finish the setup tomorrow. At some point I have to figure out where
17 > Ubuntu hides the boot config so I can add an entry for the gentoo install.
21 I didn't say it wasn't confusing. ;-) Heck, I think I asked questions
22 here when I built my new rig which is sort of the reason why I
23 remember. From some discussions I have seen, I think some CPUs need a
24 rocket scientist to figure out what to use. I'm sure there is a rule
25 book somewhere. lol
26
27 Put your kernel and such on /boot and run update-grub if I recall
28 correctly. I installed Kubuntu for my brother and it has grub2 which
29 has some magic sprinkled on it. I'm not sure how to tell it where to
30 point for the root partition tho. That may require a thread here if
31 google doesn't help. I might add, you may get better Ubuntu answers
32 here than from the Ubuntu folks. I'll forgive you if everyone else
33 will. ROFL
34
35 Dale
36
40 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!