From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --sync
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 07:22:25
1 On Mon, 01 Aug 2022 07:58:05 +0100, Michael wrote:
2
3 > 1. It used to be the case the first time you run git it would try to
4 > download GB of commits history and take ages to do so on a slow
5 > connection. The solution used to be to add "EGIT_CLONE_TYPE=shallow"
6 > in your make.conf, but I'm not sure if this is still needed (I don't
7 > use git).
8
9 It doesn't seem to be the case, running sync with an empty portage tree
10 gives
11
12 >>> Syncing repository 'gentoo' into '/var/portage'...
13 /usr/bin/git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo .
14
15 % du /var/portage
16 608M /var/portage
17
18 It did take 32s, but most of that was the Performing Global Updates stage.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 "A hundred years of forgetting and it all comes rushing back..."