From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] network discovery tools
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 20:01:22
1 On 2011-05-25, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > There must be a number of people who post here that have had to do
4 > this problem.
5 >
6 > Discover the addresses of computers on a home network that have
7 > connected by way of DHCP. For example: Several wireless connections.
8 >
9 > I've used static IPs for around 10 yrs, always seemed handier for
10 > things like ssh between home lan computers.
11 >
12 > But recently started using DHCP for wireless connections. It must be
13 > such a popular method for some reason.
14 >
15 > But when you do it that way, and say want to VNC or ssh or the like to
16 > something connected by a dhcp serving WAP then how do you find the
17 > address?
18
19 The best thing to do is to use a DHCP server and DNS server that are
20 "connected" somehow. Then hostnames "just work". Or you can
21 statically assign IP addresses in the DHCP server so that DHCP clients
22 always get hard-wired IP addresses that match up with the /etc/hosts
23 file on the DNS server.
24
25 I use OpenWRT for WAP, DNS, and DHCP, and it all pretty much "just
26 works". When a DHCP client is assigned an IP address, the DNS server
27 knows about it and you can access it by it's hostname just the way you
28 would with a static setup.
29
30 For various reasons, I assign static IP addresses to a number of
31 devices, but I do it via the DHCP server's configuration, not by
32 configuring each individual device.
35 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Did an Italian CRANE
36 at OPERATOR just experience
37 gmail.com uninhibited sensations in
38 a MALIBU HOT TUB?