From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eix output for dev-perl/Expect
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 22:01:16
1 On Monday 26 May 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2
3 > I'm puzzled by the output of 'eix' in respect to several, and some
4 > associated odd behavior of
5 > emerge. I'll use as an example dev-perl/Expect. It's installed, but
6 > I don't understand what eix
7 > is trying to tell me about it with the [D] at the beginning of the
8 > report, or the "*" associated
9 > with the Available versions strings.
10 >
11 > The questions:
12 > 1. what do these mean, and what was interfering with emerge
13 > -aDNvu this morning?
14
15 The '*' is described in man eix, line 541, thusly:
16
17 *3.3.3 This means the version is "masked by missing keyword"
18 but stable for an alien architecture.
19
20 Dunno what the 'D' means, but I would resume it means that eix thinks
21 you have to downgrade Expect to a version the is not masked by missing
22 keyword.
23
24 Can't answer up on your emerge problem, as you neglected to describe
25 it :-)
26
27 > 2. (probably more important) how do I find this out for myself in
28 > the future?
29
30 man eix
31
32 be sure to reserve a semester for a thorough study of this fascinating
33 subject
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
40 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list