From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] 3ware SATA Raid
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:58:15
1 On Friday 10 February 2006 12:39, Rick van Hattem <Rick.van.Hattem@××××.nl>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] 3ware SATA Raid':
3 > On Friday 10 February 2006 10:14, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
4 > > So, I'm finally going to buy a 3ware 9550sx SATA Raid board.
5 > >
6 > > From what I've read, it is well supported by linux and it should do
7 > > true hardware raid (ie, the OS sees only one drive). Anyway, I found
8 > > little documentation about the so-called hot-swap feature.
9 > > As I understand it, that means one should be able to remove a faulty
10 > > disk from the array, and subsequently insert a new disk, all without
11 > > powering off the machine, and with the OS being unaware of what's
12 > > going on. Is my understanding correct or am I too optimistic?
13 >
14 > You are correct, you are able to hot-swap the drives without rebooting
15 > or anything.
16 >
17 > But...... Areca cards are a lot faster for the serial ata stuff, altough
18 > I'm not sure about there linux driver support, it's worth to take a look
19 > at there stuff :)
20
21 They have supported drivers (GPL'd, IIRC) that go back to 2.3.x kernels.
22 2.6.16 might include them in mainline, mm-sources has included them since
23 2.6.14, at least. I think RHEL4 will include the drivers in their kernel.
24
25 They also provide 32- and 64-bit command line utilities that can do all the
26 controller operations from within linux, as well as both 32- and 64-bit
27 http servers that will run on the machine with the controller and provide
28 a remote (or local) management console that provides all the controller
29 operations. If you want to integrate the controller management into a
30 larger tool, or write a gtk/qt frontend, they publish the public API
31 provided by their closed source, but freely available arecalib.
32
33 Areca cards do handle the hot-swap feature mentioned by the OP.
34 Unfortunately (and from what I've read this is a limitation of linux...),
35 newly created arrays or pass-though drives do not immediately appear
36 in /dev nor do removed arrays or pass-through drives disappear. That
37 said, the scenario given by the OP (replacing a faulty disk live) does not
38 add or remove device node in /dev so it will work perfectly.
39
40 I love my Areca 1160. There's only one feature I wish it handled that it
41 doesn't: the non-standard RAID 1n, which is RAID 1 (mirroring) with more
42 than 2 drives in the array -- something that should've been trivial for
43 them to implement. So, instead I use RAID 6, which is fairly nice.
46 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
47 bss03@××××××××××.com
48 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy
49 --