From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel Panic
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:37:37
1 On Saturday 18 February 2006 08:58, "Izar Ilun" <izarilun@×××××.com> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] Kernel Panic':
3 > Hi,
4 > Well, I've already posted this problem at Gentoo forums, but as I get no
5 > answers I decided to ask for your help too. I'm quite desperated!
6 >
7 > Here's the issue: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-435070.html
8
9 Thanks for burying us in useless information. Very little of what you
10 posted has any relation to your problem. For example, make.conf doesn't
11 have anything to do with what the kernel does before starting init. If
12 you don't know what to provide, not provide anything 'cept an offer for
13 more information -- wading through useless information is not enjoyable
14 when you are trying to fix someone else's problem.
15
16 Tip: No one wants to see an entire kernel .config file.
17
18 I'm betting (but don't hold me to this) that your root filesystem doesn't
19 have the device node corresponding to your root= option. While devfs
20 might work during early boot, I don't see it in your kernel (and anyway,
21 udev is the way to go). Udev is all in userland so it won't get invoked
22 (to create device nodes) until after init is found.
23
24 You covered the big problems -- your root filesystem is compiled into the
25 kernel, as is support for IDE drives and your chipset, in particular. You
26 also don't appear to be running and initrd / initramfs.
27
28 After booting into ubuntu and mounting your gentoo root filesystem, could
29 you please ls /mnt/gentoo/dev/[hms]* -ld and provide the output?
30
31 Also, you aren't trying to put bin, sbin, or lib on a separate filesystem
32 are you?
33
34 It could also be conceivably possible that even though both grub and ubuntu
35 show that disk as (hd0)/hda [the first IDE drive], gentoo is detecting is
36 as /dev/hdb, so you might try changing your root= option.
39 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
40 bss03@××××××××××.com
41 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy
42 --