From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compare two Gentoo machines - please help
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:54:44
1 On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Helmut Jarausch
2 <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I have two (nearly) identical machines, both running ~amd64 Gentoo up-
6 > to-date and with a (nearly) identical set of installed packages.
7 >
8 > Still, on one of these machines KDE crashes with that infamous polkit-
9 > kde-authentication-agent-1 segmentation fault.
10 >
11 > On the other machine there is no problem.
12 >
13 > How can one smartly compare two Gentoo installations.
14 >
15 > Currently I would have to produce an md5sum of all files in
16 > /etc /usr /var and / and compare these. But there are dozens of
17 > thousands of files in these directories.
18
19 You could use rsync with –dry-run to tell you what's different
20 (without actually transferring any files), or you could perhaps use
21 diff over ssh to compare a whole tree at once.