From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel panics and more info
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:56:20
1 On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 09:45:07AM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > YoYo Siska wrote:
3 > >I guess it starts to download it to a temp file, than moves it to the
4 > >file you choose (never looked into it)... so the problem would be most
5 > >likely in that operation..
6
7 > I just find it downright odd that a browser causes a panic because
8 > of a download when other programs, like emerge, can download just
9 > fine.
10
11 Dale, what YoYo meant was precisely that: emerge gets files using wget
12 (unless you configured it otherwise) which writes directly to the
13 directory, whereas Firefox would first download something to (I guess)
14 /tmp and (according to YoYo) write it to the "correct" name/directory
15 once you give it to the browser. So YoYo is suspecting that it is this
16 move of the file from /tmp (or whereever) to your download directory
17 that is giving the kernel panic.
18
19 BTW, you mentioned that this happened after a power-outage. Have you
20 completely checked your disks and filesystem's health?
21
22 W
23 --
24 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
25 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
26 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton