From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 01:30:19
1 On Sun, 2021-07-25 at 20:52 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 8:39 PM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > This is indeed a bug, but not the ones that have been suggested. The
5 > > underlying problem is that the DJB programs (mail-mta/netqmail, but
6 > > also net-dns/djbdns, for example) require a particular service manager.
7 >
8 > Is it actually using daemontools as a service manager? I am not
9 > familiar enough with it to say.
10 >
11 > When I skimmed the daemontools wiki page I got the impression that it
12 > was intended to be used in conjunction with openrc.
13
14 You start svscan (part of daemontools) with OpenRC, but then you do
15 some other stuff to make svscan actually start the daemon.
18 > So, if it is intended as a service manager, it really shouldn't list
19 > it as a dependency. After all, we don't go sticking
20 > openrc/systemd/runit in every package that provides configs for these.
21
22 If a service manager is only needed to launch a daemon, then sure. But
23 the <daemon>-conf setup programs for djbdns (I don't know about qmail)
24 create scripts that run executables from daemontools. So unless those
25 are rewritten or replaced, daemontools is actually needed at runtime.
29 > > We should have made them support OpenRC and systemd.
30 >
31 > Well, this at least is the subject of a Council decision: no package
32 > has to support ANY service manager, nor can package maintainers block
33 > adding support for service managers to a package.
36 It may be legal to ship a package that's useless out-of-the-box, but
37 I'm gonna consider it a bug =)