From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] understanding --depclean
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 05:00:17
1 Michael P. Soulier wrote:
2 > I'm new to gentoo, and I recently changed my USE flags, so I ran
3 >
4 > emerge -p --depclean
5 >
6 > to see what it suggests removing.
7 >
8 > Along with many others, I see
9 >
10 > dev-lang/python
11 > selected: 2.4.4-r13
12 > protected: none
13 > omitted: 2.5.2-r7
14 >
15 > msoulier@anton:~$ equery list | grep dev-lang/python
16 > dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r13
17 > dev-lang/python-2.5.2-r7
18 >
19 > So it's going to remove the redundant python version, is that right? Any
20 > chance of shared files being removed?
21 >
22 > Thanks,
23 > Mike
26 Run this, emerge -uvDNp world and see if it wants to emerge anything.
27 man emerge will tell you what the options are for but the -N is the
28 important part. Also, you may want to run python-updater as well just
29 to see if it picks up anything. Basically, you want to make sure
30 everything is using the new version of python before removing the old.
31 --depclean has no clue on that one.
32
33 Also, anytime you run --depclean, run revdep-rebuild -i afterwards just
34 in case something did get messed up. Always do that before you log out
35 or reboot. I have been known to switch to another console and login
36 before logging out of the other one. Just to be sure.
37
38 Be very careful with --depclean. It can really mess up something if you
39 are not watching close. Ask first if you're not sure.
40
41 Dale
42