From: David Sveningsson <ext@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emacs and asian languages
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:34:39
1 David Relson skrev:
2 > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:29:15 +0200
3 > David Sveningsson wrote:
4 >> This sounds like a font issue to me. Can you see the characters
5 >> correctly if you cat the files?
6 >
7 > Hi David,
8 >
9 > Using a Gnome terminal and the default character set "Current Local
10 > Ansi_X3.4-1968" all the asian characters are bad. Using "Unicode
11 > (UTF-8)" all look good. So cat'ing _does_ work properly.
12 >
13 > On the plus side, being able to display correctly in (1) a Gnome
14 > terminal and (2) in Eclipse's source code window (which uses
15 > "Monospace") and (3) in a Claws-Mail window indicates that all needed
16 > fonts are available.
17 >
18 > On the minus side, e experiments to change emacs' mule encoding to
19 > ascii, chinese, and utf-8 don't seem to have any effect :-<
20 >
21 > And in an emacs *shell* window (with "mule...set UTF-8", the strings
22 > show up like:
23 >
24 > String sh = "zh: \344\270\226\347\225u"\345\245\275";
25 >
26 > which interprets as the octal codes corresponding to UTF-8 char.
27 >
28 > David
32 I assume you are using xemacs, does it work if you're not using xemacs
33 (use the -nw flag when launching)? I have never used mule myself as it
34 is not needed with emacs 22. Since everything seems to work in your
35 terminal I cannot see why it wouldn't work in emacs, but I'm not an expert.
36
37 Just to be sure, have you followed the steps in
38 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml?
42 //*David Sveningsson [eXt]*
43
44 Freelance coder | Game Development Student
45 http://sidvind.com
46
47 Thou shalt make thy program's purpose and structure clear to thy fellow
48 man by using the One True Brace Style, even if thou likest it not, for
49 thy creativity is better used in solving problems than in creating
50 beautiful new impediments to understanding.