From: Justin <justin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ati or Nvida
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:24:12
1 Platoali schrieb:
2 > Well, last night the graphic card of my laptop got broken. So I'm
3 > considering to replace it with a workstation for some graphic
4 > applications (Mainly blender and gimp.) I need 3d acceleration, and my
5 > poor laptop was rendering for hours to get my job done. So I decide to
6 > buy a workstation instead a laptop. I want to ask, which graphic cards
7 > are better supported in Linux. I know that ATI have freed or in the
8 > process of freeing their graphic cards driver. But I did not have any
9 > good memory from my previous experience with ATI. My previous card was
10 > ATI radeon 9600m and it never worked the way it had to until broken.
11 > I want to know, what is the current status of ATI drivers in Linux?
12 > Does the problems have been solved? Can they compete with Nvidia?
13 >
14 > And I want to know which one is better supported in Linux kernel
15 > regardless of how much open/free the drivers is. I'm currently
16 > thinking between Nvidia Quadro fx 1700 and Ati firegl 5600. Does
17 > anyone have any comment about them?
18 >
19 > Best regards
20 > Platoali
21 >
22 Quoting Donnie from his interview with LinuxCrazy:
23
24 [0:04:38]
25 comprookie2000: What video card do you recommend?
26
27 dberkholz: I like ATI or Intel, depending on your needs. Both of them
28 have done a really good job of opening up all their documentation and
29 their drivers in the past couple of years, more recently ATI: Intel's
30 been doing it for a while and set the standard. If you're a gamer, you
31 probably want ATI instead of Intel because the Intel ones don't perform
32 as well, but they're really nice and cheap and open. Some NVidia cards
33 work with a reverse-engineered driver called Nouveau
34 <http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/>, but I don't really want to support a
35 company that doesn't support open source.
36
37 comprookie2000: Yeah, I was on newegg.com <http://hewegg.com> and they
38 interviewed a person from NVidia and they said they weren't going to
39 open up the drivers, that's what the guy said on the interview. Tell me
40 about your everyday box.
43 Full transcript here:
44 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=5099210#5099210
45 Podcast here: http://linuxcrazy.com/?q=node/33