From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Portage package removals due to python-2.7
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 10:51:15
1 As python-2.7 was EOL'ed I find some packages are being retired and have/will
2 fall off the tree; e.g. app-office/taskcoach. I keep a version of taskcoach
3 running in a VM in the hope the devs/maintainer will come up with a version
4 updated to run on later python releases. Then I see this:
5
6 ===============================================
7 !!! The following installed packages are masked:
8 - app-emulation/virtualbox-bin-5.2.40.137108::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
9 /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
10 # Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> (2020-08-22)
11 # These packages (or package versions) still require Python 2.7.
12 # They are either dead upstream, their Python 3 porting efforts are
13 # not progressing or their maintainers are simply unresponsive.
14 # Please do not remove any packages from this list unless you actually
15 # port it to Python 3.
16 # Removal in 30 days. Tracker bug #694800.
17
18 For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
19 man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
21
22 I have a number of VBox VM systems, some with active software licenses running
23 on them and the VBox-bin is a low-maintenance and convenient way to run them.
24 I'd prefer to avoid emerging a non-bin VBox. Is there some way I could keep
25 older packages running in Gentoo, until more up to date versions appear again
26 in the tree (if ever)?