From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X11 from another machine
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 16:51:16
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 22 May 2007 00:30:46 +0800 Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
4
5 > I have the situation where I have to connect to a remote,
6 > it's still in my office but X will be running across the network, Sun
7 > server so that I can run a CAD system. In the past I've done this
8 > from Windows using telnet and an X emulator, exporting the DISPLAY
9 > variable etc, but now I want to be able to do this from the linux
10 > box. I've tried what I've done under Windows in the past but the Sun
11 > machine can't find my X server, even though I'm in a graphical X
12 > window when I type the commands to initiate the remote X session.
13 >
14 > My question is, is there anything "special" that I have to do
15 > so that the linux X server is listening to "the outside world" so
16 > that the Sun box can create the connection and get X displaying on my
17 > linux box?
18
19 Yes. Usually, the X server is supposed to only listen on localhost
20 (127.0.0.1), if at all on TCP ports, that is (it might be listening
21 only on a UNIX socket).
22
23 That's only one part, though. The other is X Authorization. It depends
24 a bit on the way you use to start X, but it should be active. You
25 probably need to transport your auth cookie to the target. See XAUTH(1)
26 for all the details.
27
28 However, the usual way to use remote X-based programs is just to let
29 SSH do that. It can provide a tunnel for X. This is especially easy if
30 the remote SSH server daemon has set its "X11Forwarding" configuration
31 setting set to "yes" (otherwise, it is really a bit harder and not
32 suggested). Then, you just would connect using "ssh -X user@host" and
33 that's it, SSH will care for creating a socket on the remote machine
34 and set the DISPLAY variable accordingly.
37 -hwh
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list