From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem using the pppoe plugin
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 03:03:44
1 I answer to your last two threads.
2
3 > OK, thanks to all who responded -- I had to do mtu_ppp0=1492 and then
4 > I had to do the iptables rule. I still wonder why the native package
5 > worked, but not the plugin? Go figure.
6
7 It seems that the mtu problem only occurs when you use the kernel module
8 and the ppp package. So this problem hit you when using the plugin from
9 ppp and not with rp-pppoe. From [2]: Warning: For people transitioning
10 from the rp-pppoe package, or for people who hit weird connection
11 resets, see the MTU section in the Troubleshooting chapter.
12
13 > > > plugins_ppp0=("rp-pppoe")
14 > >
15 > > Are you sure this line is correct?
16 > Yep, otherwise it would not work at all, so looks like some
17 > documentation needs to be fixed?
18
19 I don't think this is the correct configuration. I recommend you to read
20 here [1], [2] and the PPP section in net.example. The mtu problem is
21 explained there too.
22
23 Rp-pppoe is depreciated and has been integrated in ppp and I don't think
24 there is an option like "plugins_ppp0=("rp-pppoe")". But if you use
25 "plugins_ppp0=("pppoe")" the rp-pppoe plugin of the ppp package is used!
26
27 This here is from my logs:
28
29 pppd[19849]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
30 pppd[19849]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.4
31 pppd[19852]: pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0
32
33 And my /etc/conf.d/net
34
35 config_eth0=("192.168.0.1/24" )
36
37 config_eth1=( null )
38 config_ppp0=( "ppp" )
39 link_ppp0="eth1"
40 plugins_ppp0=( "pppoe" )
41 username_ppp0='ar1435446276'
42 pppd_ppp0=(
43 "noauth"
44 "defaultroute"
45 "usepeerdns"
46 "holdoff 3"
47 "child-timeout 60"
48 "lcp-echo-interval 15"
49 "lcp-echo-failure 3"
50 noaccomp noccp nobsdcomp nodeflate nopcomp novj novjccomp
51 )
52
53 depend_ppp0() {
54 need net.eth1