From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mobo replaced; eth0 fails
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 02:45:11
1 On Fri, Nov 11 2011, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2
3 > My dell laptop E6510 had its motherboard replaced (as it turned out, for
4 > no good reason) and now the wired ethernet fails.
5
6 Thank you florian, alan, michael, and mick.
7 This list is one of gentoo's strongest advantages.
8
9 To summarize the responses and my actions.
10
11 1. Indeed the system had assigned the new wired ethernet device
12 a new name (eth2, my wireless is eth1, previous wired was eth0).
13
14 2. /etc/udev/rules.d/persistent-net.rules does tell the story.
15 This file ensures that the same PHYSICAL device keeps the same name.
16 Once you change the hardware, the same "logical device" (in my case
17 wired ethernet) gets a new permanent name.
18
19 3. Some advised blowing away .../persistent-net.rules.
20 I chose to modify it so that the new device is now eth0 and the old
21 device is gone.
22
23 Thank you again. The result was error solved and knowledge gained.
24
25 allan