From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My PC died. What should I try?
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:43:33
1 Peter Humphrey writes:
2
3 > On Tuesday 28 August 2012 21:57:43 Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >> I wrote:
5 >>> Well, all I can do now is to get a new board and see if things will
6 >>> be okay then.
7 >> [...]
8 >> So I had to wait. And when it became available, I wondered if it
9 >> might be the processor instead that has the problem, so I let the PC
10 >> shop diagnose CPU and board. This took until today, and they
11 >> confirmed it was the board indeed, not the CPU.
12 >
13 > Let me get this straight. The shop ran tests and concluded that the
14 > motherboard was faulty, not the CPU?
15
16 Yes.
17
18 >> Fine, I bought the board
19 >
20 > ...it having been tested and found faulty!
21
22 Well, obviously not the defective board I already owned, but a new one
23 of the same type. Yes. Defects happen, and because one specific board
24 suddenly has a problem after working fine for half a year, I do not
25 assume that all of these boards will likely fail. And it seems to be the
26 only board having the features I want, at least in the price range of
27 about 100€. Most have two memory banks only, so I would either have to
28 use only 8GB out of 16 GB, or buy new RAM. And I want on-board graphics,
29 I do not want to buy an extra graphics adapter that needs power or has a
30 noisy fan. There were NVidia boards I think, but I prefer Radeon, that
31 finally seems to work just fine, after having lots of trouble in the
32 past with both NVidia and an older Radeon system.
33
34 Wonko