From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.3.1 query
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:16:56
1 090917 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> Konsole 4.3.1 -- it seems impossible to predetermine window size;
4 > It saves its size properly for me.
5 > For specifying a size (not restoring the last-used size),
6 > in KDE you can specify extensive window placement and geometry profiles
7 > for windows by right-clicking on the titlebar
8 > and choosing "Configure window behavior...".
9 > I have no idea about Fluxbox.
10
11 That doesn't work in Fluxbox. It will accept 'konsole --geometry ... ',
12 but that has no effect on window size; you can set a single size by hand
13 in konsolerc , but there's no apparent way to do that for profiles.
14 The big attraction of Konsole 3 is that it has so many options.
15 For me, it's a show-stopper & if it isn't fixed in 4.4.1 , I'll use Xterm.
16
17 >> Okular 4.3.1 -- usable, but no noticeable improvement on Kpdf 3.5.10 .
18 > Okular does so much more than Kpdf it's not even funny.
19 > http://okular.kde.org/formats.php
20
21 Yes, another day's use suggests it renders PDFs better than Kpdf
22 (that's what I use it for) & it does show JPGs properly too.
23 That complaint is withdrawn (tho' there's an ugly wide bar on the left side).
24
25 >> Konqueror 4.3.1 -- no way to import bookmarks,
26 > Konqueror has more import options than any other browser I've ever seen!
27 > There are extensive "Import" and "Export" menus in the bookmarks editor.
28
29 It appears you have to install another pkg to get this
30 -- it's not a Gentoo dependency -- , but manually copying them works too.
31 I rarely use Konqueror, but it's useful occasionally.
32
33 >> Kmahjongg 4.3.1 -- they've abolished the grid of removed tiles !
34 > According to a single google search for "kmahjongg removed tiles",
35 > the primary author of Kmahjongg stated he removed that feature in 2006.
36
37 No, it's present in 3.5.10 , which I'm using (I just played a game with it).
38 It's another feature which has been dropped in KDE 4 ,
39 like setting the size of a Konsole window when you open it (above).
40 Another show-stopper, but perhaps the gods want me to get out more (smile).
41
42 >> Gwenview 4.3.1 -- yes, an improvement on the old independent Gwenview,
43 >> esp the tree menu, but also rendering of images + thumbnails.
44 > I don't use it, but it seems to do its job.
45 > I prefer Geeqie because I am more used to its keyboard navigation.
46
47 Gwenview 4 is a noticeable improvement.
48
49 >> Krusader 2.0.0 -- my choice for heavy lifting: no noticeable change.
50 > I've never tried it.
51
52 It's very powerful. The new version seems to be the same but for KDE 4 .
53 I'm happy to use the CLI for everyday file management.
54
55 >> I won't comment on the aesthetics of the brave new KDE ...
56 > It's different, but I like it. It has grown on me over time.
57 > KDE3 looks plain and old-fashioned now when I go back and see it.
58
59 Like another respondent (and many others), I prefer "plain & old-fashioned".
60 We have street cars (trams) running by the end of my street,
61 as they have since 1892, which is why we have healthy neighbourhoods here,
62 but go-ahead modern cities like NY & London wiped them out long ago (grin).
63
64 Thanks for the various responses, incl the inadvertently amusing ones.
68 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
69 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
70 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca