From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:28:18
1 Hi,
2 Paul Hoy wrote:
3
4 >On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 13:11 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
7 >>On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:58:54 -0400
8 >>Paul Hoy wrote:
12 >>>Coincidently, I received a bunch of Fedora 3 & 4 email
13 >>>updates earlier today, which shows that Gentoo is behind 23 out of 24 of
14 >>>the updates, some of them quite significantly. Most of them are
15 >>>KDE-related files,
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>That confirms my thoughts (which i posted yesterday).
19 >>
20 >>So can you clarify, is that 23/24 packages are behind on x86 or on ~x86?
21 >>
22 >>i.e. would an ~x86 gentoo be ahead or behind fedora?
30 Here also comes the question of "how far behind " as if it's a day or
31 even a week that's nothing IMHO :p
32
33 >My original email was 23/24 packages for x86. However, after reading
34 >your email, I compared the first 10 kde updates with ~x86 releases. It
35 >came out that Fedora was ahead 50 percent of the time or both distros
36 >shared the same release versions. In case I'm doing something
37 >incorrectly, you can also view the updates at
38 >http://fedoraproject.org/infofeed/
39 >
40 >Of course, this new comparison is between testing releases and so-called
41 >stable Fedora releases. There is a Fedora extras/unstable list (Fedora
42 >Core 4 Testing Updates) for that, but I don't receive that one. It also
43 >should be noted that the updates I listed happen to be mostly for Fedora
44 >3, not Fedora 4. I compared some Fedora 4 releases the other day and
45 >shared them with this list and Fedora was ahead 90 percent of the time
46 >(out of about 10 recent release comparisons).
47 >
48 >Finally, after doing a ~x86 compare, I noticed that fedora-announce-list
49 >is slow to announce updates as most of the actual updates took place
50 >around the beginning of August by Redhat people. Not sure why that is.
51 >
52 >Paul
56 Another thing "Fedora" is still closely related with RedHat (a child
57 of), so being a paid Distro they have more resources/people etc.
58 Gentoo is made/supported by non-paid devs so there must be a difference
59 after all.
60 Still another thought - see Ubuntu's fast rise, made by having mostly
61 Debian unstable/testing packages with some customizations. IMO newest
62 not is always the best (depends on the perspective of course).
63 When running a ~x86 for some 6-7 months sometimes (not very often)
64 bumped on a Bug, which only hours at most a day/two afterwards was
65 solved, so being "on front line" requires much more time/resources then
66 "a little behind".
67 Just my thoughts.
68 Rumen
72 >>--