From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What happened to OpenRC 0.9.6?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:35:01
1 > Oh, you just want to test the features *you* use, understood.
2
3 Guys,
4
5 I did not want to start a flamewar. I've been running ~arch for years
6 and I've had my fair share of breakage, which I'm perfectly fine with
7 (e.g. I'm not complaining that dev-lang/php-5.4.0._rc2 currently fails
8 to compile with USE=+snmp). It's my choice to run unstable, and I only
9 do so on machines where a hosed system is a nuisance rather than an
10 emergency.
11
12 I write software for a living, so I know perfectly well that covering
13 every possible configuration in your tests is extremely difficult,
14 especially if you're not granted ample resources (i.e. time+$$$)
15 specifically for that purpose.
16
17 I was just a little surprised that a system package turned out to be
18 completely broken in a scenario that I thought was quite widespread,
19 especially among the devs (as rc_parallel results in _very_ tangible
20 time savings, especially on a desktop with lots of services and frequent
21 boots).
22
23 Things were handled well: as soon as the issue was reported, the
24 breakage was acknowledged and the offending version was masked and then
25 removed.
26
27 That's all as far as I'm concerned. No data was lost and no kittens were
28 killed. Let's move on.
29
30 andrea