From: "Marc Stürmer" <mail@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Demise of Truecrypt - surprised I haven't seen t his discussed here yet?
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 07:18:35
1 Am 01.06.2014 14:31, schrieb Tanstaafl:
2
3 > Wow, I've been mostly offline for a few days, and this morning when
4 > playing catch up on the news, learned that Truecrypt, one of my all time
5 > favorite apps, is no more.
6
7 Well, considering the fact that Linux comes with its own bunch of
8 encrytion possibilities on its own, the demise of TrueCrypt on Linux is
9 neglectable.
10
11 Some people in Switzerland want to take over development, for further
12 information take a look at www.truecrypt.ch.
13
14 And then there's tc-play, a free implementation of TrueCrypt based on
15 dm-crypt (https://github.com/bwalex/tc-play), which allows reading and
16 creating TrueCrypt volumes on your own. It just lacks a good GUI so far.
17
18 Cryptsetup since 1.6 supports reading the TrueCrypt on disk format.
19
20 And zuluCrypt is a frontend to cryptsetup and tcplay, which acts as a
21 GUI for those.
22
23 So no loss at all if TrueCrypt would really cease to exist.