From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] qbittorrent crashes after to many files open error
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 06:10:01
1 Mateusz Okulus wrote:
2 > On 22/09/08 05:24PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> root@fireball / # cat /etc/security/limits.conf | grep nofile
4 >> #        - nofile - max number of open file descriptors
5 >> *               hard    nofile          8192
6 >> I logged out and back in.  I ran the command you shared and it was
7 >> indeed set to the new amount.  I'm going to upgrade qbittorrent to the
8 >> new version again and test it some more.
9 > I don't think 8k opened files will be enough for 10TB of torrents. Keep
10 > in mind this is more for multi user purpose, in case someone writes and
11 > uses a buggy program, so the whole system won't crash for other users.
12 > If you just have single user computer it's safe to just set it to the
13 > max limit.
14 >
15 > I'm certain it's not a bug in qbittorrent, but rather this limit is just
16 > very low by default for you, as I've mentioned for me it was 2^19, and
17 > I'm on 512GB laptop.
18 >
19 > Regards,
20 > mmokulus
25 You make a excellent point.  While I have not had this error since the
26 change I made, I do have large storage media here.  My crypt mount point
27 is two 8TB hard drives on LVM.  The drive that qbit uses to store files
28 on is a 6TB drive.  Not including the drive for the OS itself, I have
29 20TBs of drive space.  Those will be changing soon as I grow things
30 here.  Since that setting likely affects things not even related to
31 qbittorrent, these larger storage drives can result in reducing what
32 file qbit can have open.
33
34 I'm going to up that setting a bit shortly.  I don't think it would hurt
35 anything given I have lots of memory and a pretty fast CPU so it
36 shouldn't cause anything to fail due to lack of memory or CPU power.  I
37 don't see a downside to this change.
38
39 Thanks much for the help.
40