From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmware-server is gone?
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:15:28
1 On 17 March 2014 20:52:29 CET, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 >Am 17.03.2014 20:30, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
3 >
4 >> I've been planning to try KVM as well, but am wondering how snapshots
5 >work
6 >> with KVM. Not been able to find anything about that apart from
7 >> disk-snapshots. No info if it's possible to take a copy of the memory
8 >as
9 >> well.
10 >
11 >I run KVM in combo with LVM snapshots for backups. RAM snapshots? Not
12 >sure ...
13 >
14 >>> I am right before installing Qemu and configuring the network bridge
15 >etc
16 >>> ... the vmdks are already converted. Maybe it doesn't take that
17 >long.
18 >>
19 >> I don't think it should take very long. :)
20 >> But, do check that the vmware tools get uninstalled from the guests
21 >and
22 >> replaced by KVM equivalents.
23 >
24 >I have the VMs now, but both are XP guests and therefore crashing
25 >because the weren't prepared with something like MergeIDE ... :-(
26 >
27 >*sigh*
28 >
29 >Does anyone know if there is a trick applying these drivers *without*
30 >having a running VMware-Server?
31 >
32 >S
33
34 Try vmware player or vmware workstation on your own machine?
37 Joost
38 --
39 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.