From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 09:12:51
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 02:49:10 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >>> or is it
6 >>> as simple as coping all file from "home" partition to "/" home folder.
7 >>>
8 >> That's what I would do.  First, umount /home.  Mount /home somewhere
9 >> else like /mnt/tmp or something.  Copy everything from /mnt/tmp to
10 >> /home.  Make sure to remove any entries in fstab for /home too.  Then
11 >> umount /mnt/tmp and carry on.  I don't think I'm missing anything.
12 > Or you can bind mount / somewhere and copy /home to home on the bind
13 > mount, saves unmounting anything.
14 >
15 > mount --bind / /mnt/tmp
16 > rsync -a /home/ /mnt/tmp/home/
19 True.  I'm not to familiar with bind mounting, unless I copy and paste
20 from a wiki or something.  Would be easier tho.  ;-)
23 >> I'm with Thomas tho, I've always kept /home on a separate partition.  It
24 >> has made things easier when I have to reinstall, lose a drive etc etc.
25 >> Things happen and having eggs in separate baskets can help.  That said,
26 >> if it will work best for your needs or circumstances or both, then it is
27 >> what it is.
28 > Agreed, it also helps with backing up you are likely to have different
29 > requirements for backing up the OS, which is replaceable, and your data,
30 > which isn't.
33 > -- Neil Bothwick First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly
34 > the same as cold glass.
37 I like your sigs.  Sometimes they have me rolling.  ROFL
38
39 Dale
40