From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 00:14:24
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 19.10.2010 14:23, schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >> Florian Philipp wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Am 19.10.2010 09:45, schrieb Dale:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> Hi,
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I am thinking of upgrading from a FX-5200 with 128Mb video card to a
12 >>>> GeForce 6200 with 512MB. It will be AGP since this is a older rig. My
13 >>>> system is something like this:
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Mobo: Abit NF7 2.0
16 >>>> CPU: AMD 2500+ No overclocking
17 >>>> Memory: 2Gbs of 333Mhz.
18 >>>> Monitor: Gateway 19" running 1280 x 1024
19 >>>>
20 >>>> I think my memory is fine, it never uses all of it, or even half of it,
21 >>>> except for caching stuff. I may try to get a 3000+ or 3200+ CPU if I
22 >>>> can run up on a good deal. I'm thinking of doing the video card first
23 >>>> because it is cheaper. I have also noticed that playing movies on here
24 >>>> is getting a bit slow if I go full screen or close to full screen. I'm
25 >>>> bad to download from youtube and then play them locally full screen or
26 >>>> as close as it will allow.
27 >>>>
28 >>>> I do use the nvidia drivers. Currently:
29 >>>>
30 >>>> nvidia-drivers-173.14.25
31 >>>>
32 >>>> I'm on that one because I think I need to upgrade my kernel to use the
33 >>>> latest one that was recently put in the tree. I'm looking at this card:
34 >>>>
35 >>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133328
36 >>>>
37 >>>> What kind of improvement can I expect from this video card upgrade?
38 >>>> While I am at it, the CPU upgrade won't make that much difference
39 >>>> right? Maybe 20% or so faster or something like that?
40 >>>>
41 >>>>
42 >>>>
43 >>> Hi Dale,
44 >>>
45 >>> first and foremost, a newer card will allow you to use the newest driver
46 >>> series (195.*.*) which is always a good thing ;)
47 >>>
48 >>> It also gives you more texture units. You can use these to transfer more
49 >>> work to your GPU (mostly scaling and such). Take a look at `man mplayer`
50 >>> section '-vo gl' for a list of options.
51 >>> VLC has similar options, I think. I don't know about gstreamer or xine.
52 >>>
53 >>> I could be wrong but I don't think that adobe-flash uses these options.
54 >>> That is probably part of the problem why flash is so much slower on
55 >>> GNU/Linux than on Windows. If my assumption is true, you are better off
56 >>> buying a faster CPU.
57 >>>
58 >>> You could also test how gnash performs. Since it uses ffmpeg (AFAIK) it
59 >>> might be worth a try.
60 >>>
61 >>> Please take my advices with a big dose of salt. While I still run an old
62 >>> desktop with nearly identical specs, I almost never use Youtube and
63 >>> therefore have no experience with that.
64 >>>
65 >>> Hope this helps,
66 >>> Florian Philipp
67 >>>
68 >>>
69 >>>
70 >> This particular card I think uses the latest 260.* drivers. That's
71 >> according to the nvidia site but sometimes that is not correct either.
72 >>
73 >> Anyway, I always download the videos off youtube or where ever and then
74 >> watch them with smplayer locally. It generally works better for the
75 >> most part. I just have the slow DSL so it skips a bit on some if I
76 >> don't download it first. I do need a faster CPU but want to get the
77 >> card first. I do sometimes max out the CPU when watching a video but I
78 >> think most of the time it is the card that is just getting old and needs
79 >> a new one that is a little faster at least. For the price, I was going
80 >> to get a card that is a good bit faster.
83 > [...]
84 >
85 > Ah, in that case tweaking your mplayer config might really help. Look at
86 > the man page for options (-vo gl:...).
87 >
88 > You really have to try every option and sometimes reasonable
89 > combinations. I've found that even if the man page says it is a slow
90 > option, sometimes it's the fastest. As I've said before, you will reach
91 > the maximum number of texture units in your card, therefore certain
92 > options will not work together but the man page tells you how many
93 > texture units each option needs. With that info it should be easy to
94 > tweak your settings.
95 >
96 > To get you going, try mplayer -vo gl:yuv=2:lscale=1:cscale=1<file>
97 > Don't forget to test it in fullscreen mode.
98 >
99 > You can later apply these options either in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf or
100 > in ~/.mplayer/config like this: "vo=gl:yuv=2:lscale=1:cscale=1"
101 >
102 > Hope this helps,
103 > Florian Philipp
107 I'll look into that in a bit. Sort of having a so so day today. Those
108 options may help tho. I mostly play mp4's tho. They can be pretty big.
109
110 Dale
111