From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage update errors
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 10:13:50
1 On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 20:45:41 +1100, Zoltán Kócsi wrote:
2
3 > > The Gentoo Handbook and man portage are good starting points.
4 >
5 > I read them, but what I'm missing is the understanding of the database
6 > content that portage maintains and the exact interpretation of the files
7 > and directories in the /etc/portage tree. I.e. the magic behind the
8 > scenes.
9
10 man portage covers the file in /etc/portage - and elsewhere.
11
12 > > This would appear to be your problem, you are trying to emerge version
13 > > 9999 of portage. Version 9999 usually refers to a git version, so not
14 > > usually desirable, especially for a critical system tool. So the first
15 > > step is to find out why portage wants version 9999.
16 > >
17 > > grep -r portage /etc/portage
18 > >
19 > > will tell you if you have set it for installation. Otherwise repeat
20 > > the emerge command with the -t option, which shows what is pulling in
21 > > a particular package.
22 >
23 > Thanks a lot, I will investigate that further.
24 >
25 > By the way, an other (probably dumb) question. At the end of the listing
26 > of the errors there is a complaint about certifi.
27 >
28 > The interesting thing is that the conflict refers to the exact same
29 > piece of code: certifi-2018.4.16:0/0::gentoo is scheduled for merge but
30 > it is already installed. So what's wrong with it?
31
32 I would sort out the portage-9999 situation first. That depends on
33 gemato-9999 which may need a later version of certifi. Fix the first
34 error message and some of the others may go away at the same time.
38 Neil Bothwick
39
40 Press every key to continue.