From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xen on new install reboots by itself
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 20:24:38
1 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On Thursday, April 23, 2015 11:03:53 PM lee wrote:
4 >> "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
5 >> >>
6 >> > I disagree. Been using Xen for over 10 years now and find it very easy to
7 >> > use. The documentation could be better on the Xen site itself, but there
8 >> > is plenty of decent documentation available via Google.
9 >> Then we just disagree about this.
10 >
11 > Do you have anything that you find insufficiently documented or is too difficult?
12
13 sure, lots
14
15 >> >>Virtualization with containers is basically as simple as running just
16 >> >>another daemon.
17 >> >>
18 >> > Not quite. I use virtualization to minimizer the physical hardware. Xen is
19 >> > easy for that. Containers are what chroot jails should have been. But
20 >> > there is no simple method to set these up when security isolation is your
21 >> > goal.
22 >> Containers or chroots?
23 >
24 > Containers.
25 > Chroots don't have much when it comes to isolation.
26
27 What exactly are the issues with containers? Ppl seem to work on them
28 and to manage to make them more secure over time.
29
30 >> >>Which the "better" tool, or combination of tools is, depends on what
31 >> >>you
32 >> >>want to accomplish. You could use containers in a VM, too, or use
33 >> >>virtualbox along with containers to run the odd VMs that require full
34 >> >>virtualzation.
35 >> >>
36 >> > Virtualbox is nice for a quick test. I wouldn't use it for production.
37 >>
38 >> Why not?
39 >
40 > Several reasons:
41 >
42 > 1) I wouldn't trust a desktop application for a server
43
44 So that's a gut feeling?
45
46 > 2) The overhead from Virtualbox is quite high (still better then VMWare's
47 > desktop versions though)
48
49 Overhead in which way? I haven't done much with virtualbox yet and
50 merely found it rather easy to use, very useful and to just work fine.
51
52 Compared to containers, the overhead xen requires is enormous, and it
53 doesn't give you a stable system to run VMs on because dom0 is already
54 virtualized itself. I don't know how that compares to virtualbox --- I
55 didn't have time to look into it and it just worked, allowing me to run
56 a VM on the fly on the same machine I'm working on without any ado.
57
58 That VM was simply a copy of a VM taken from a vmware server, and the
59 copy could be used without any conversion or anything. You can't do
60 that with xen because you'll be having lots of trouble to convert the
61 VM, to convert the machine you're working on to xen and to get it to
62 work, to work around all the problems xen brings about ... Some days
63 later you might finally have it working --- which is out of the question
64 because the VM is needed right away. And virtualbox does just that.
65
66 I was really surprised that virtualbox worked that well. Maybe xen will
67 get there some time.
71 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
72 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.