From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge wvdial issuesFIXED(sortof)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:08:14
1 --- Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 11:43:05AM -0700, maxim
4 > wexler wrote
5 >
6 > > And one more question: Why does emerge wvdial
7 > insist on installing all
8 > > this X stuff? More than 90 Megs! What does my
9 > serial port hardware
10 > > care if I can look at an xterm or not?
11 > >
12 > > I tried USE="-X" but it just ignored me :^(
13 >
14 > Sigh, a bunch of ex-Windows, X Window developers,
15 > who can't go to the
16 > bathroom without a
17 > pointey-clickey-touchie-feelie-oowey-gui. I suggest
18 > that you "emerge pppconfig" instead. That's what I
19 > use along with pon
20 > and poff.
21
22 perl-cleaner did the trick as far as emerge wvdial is
23 concerned, thanks for the link folks.
24
25 yes, I always used pppconfig to setup my dialup until
26 I ran into troubles with the 2.6.16 kernel setup.
27 Seems dialup is now configured in /etc/conf.d/net,
28 although this seems to conflict with the provider
29 file. I mean, do you edit net.example to reflect the
30 provider file provided by pppconfig, or do you try to
31 avoid redundancy? Neither file seems aware of the
32 other's existence. Strange.
33
34 Another thing: even though the docs and mans mention
35 /dev/ttyS0 no such device is on my 2.6.16 box! In the
36 net file it says: link_ppp0="/dev/ttyS0". But when the
37 computer boots the console starts ppp0 then gives the
38 error: link_ppp0 does not exist. So I made one with
39
40 mknod /dev/ttyS0 c 4 64
41
42 but it didn't help. The same error appeared on the
43 next boot.
44
45 Yes, /etc/init.d/net.ppp0 is a sym-link to net.lo.
46
47 Yes, I have compiled every conceivable serial port
48 option into the kernel. Do I really need support for
49 some fancy joy-stick(CONFIG_SERIO_CT82C710) to get my
50 modem to work?
51
52 I know my serial port works because I can dialout
53 using the installCD provided I first copy over
54 /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/chatscripts/*, /etc/ppp/*,
55 /etc/ppp/peers/*. Even after chrooting I can dial out.
56
57 -MW
58 > --
59 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux
60 > /sbin/init is Job #1
61 > My musings on technology and security at
62 > http://tech_sec.blog.ca
63 > --
64 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
70 Do You Yahoo!?
71 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
72 http://mail.yahoo.com
73 --
74 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list