From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 17:39:42
1 On Saturday, 27 April 2019 17:28:05 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3
4 > > Printers are plug 'n play these days. There is no manual configuration
5 > > needed, unless your PCs and/or router configurations do not use
6 > > zeroconf/mDNS.
7 > Well, I could access it thorough its web interface but it wouldn't
8 > print. It would say it couldn't find it or something. After I set up
9 > cups as shown below, it printed. The biggest thing I did different was
10 > to put in the IP instead of letting it auto-detect the printer. In the
11 > past, my old HP printers tended to be auto-detected pretty well. I
12 > would just click continue and when done, out came the test page. This
13 > one took a little extra to get it printing.
14
15 The web interface for the printer should provide some control panel GUI to
16 administer it from, using your browser. It should show usage stats, how much
17 toner is left, etc. It should also (hopefully) have a menu to set up admin
18 passwd on. This is not an interface for you to print with.
21 > I've printed several recipes so far and it is printing fine so I guess
22 > this is *a* proper way to have it set up.
23
24 ipp is of course a proper way to print, since the printer is offering this
25 protocol. It may offer additional protocols/ports to print with, but you
26 found what works anyway. I sometimes use nmap to find open ports/services/
27 protocols a printer uses, but each will require a different URI syntax in
28 CUPS.
31 > > Regarding your modem, unless it is NAT-ing fully, like a router would, it
32 > > will expose your router to the Internet. In any case, your router will
33 > > isolate WAN-LAN from probing eyes with its NAT - so you should be safe
34 > > enough.
35 > If I recall correctly, my modem is sort of like a router even tho it
36 > only has one connection. I read that somewhere.
37
38 It probably works on a half-bridge mode.
41 > Then it came out again, printed on both sides. When I realized it was
42 > printing both sides, which will save a lot of paper and space in my
43 > binder, I was in love. I never could get a ink jet printer to do that
44 > correctly. ;-)
45 >
46 > Dale
47 >
49
50 Sadly mine doesn't, but it weighs less. ;-)
53 Regards,
54 Mick