From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help - system reboots while compiling
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:16:23
1 On 12/02/07, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Monday 12 February 2007, Matt Richards wrote:
4 > > I wouldn't of thought it would be the RAM not from behavior like that
5 > > but it does sound like a overheating issue, I have had computers just
6 > > power off because they get too hot.
7 >
8 > The thing with memtest is that it does (mostly) predictable tests, which
9 > can detect consistent errors with memory chips, or somewhat random
10 > errors with memory.
11 >
12 > BUT, it doesn't help at all with detecting didgy hardware in other
13 > areas. It doesn't give you any valid tests for what happens when the
14 > machine gets hot for example. Compiling a kernel (or openoffice.org) 10
15 > times in a loop does do that.
18 It does look like it's a problem with the PSU or (God forbid) the cpu. ("God
19 forbid" because new CPU means new motherboard also).
22 So, I would say that you have shown that your memory chips are not
23 > likely to be faulty, but you have not yet proven that the cpu (or the
24 > rest of the machine) isn't getting hot and overloading.
25 >
26 > Jeff, if you were paying me to diagnose your problem, I'd be telling you
27 > to swap out the psu and test some more, then disassemble the
28 > cpu/heatsink combination and replace the thermal grease and test some
29 > more. If it then fails, the tests are still not conclusive so I would
30 > want to forcefully cool the machine (with an external fan etc) while
31 > putting it through some stress tests (like a looooooong compile).
34 Well at the moment it doesn't even survive the early stages of a short
35 compile (the ./configure stage) so hopefully if any progress at all is made
36 at diagnosing the problem, it'll be quick. Unfortunately if I were paying
37 you to diagnose the problem I'd also have enough money to buy spare PSU's -
38 but I'm not!
39
40 Jeff
43 Now, did you hear the news today?
44 They say the danger's gone away
45 But I can hear the marching feet
46 Moving into the street
47
48 Adapted from Genesis, "Land of Confusion"
49
50 http://latedeveloper.org.uk