From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I suppress the bleep when shutting down?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 13:47:08
1 On Wednesday 21 Oct 2015 11:23:46 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > Indeed, on The Register the other day, in a comments sections, somebody
4 > described how he had a dual boot GNU/Linux Windows setup, and after a
5 > Windows update, the GNU/Linux wouldn't boot at all. He suspected that
6 > the Windows update had tampered with the UEFI CMOS settings somehow.
7
8 I wouldn't think that MSWindows would interfere in the UEFI settings and
9 enable Secure Boot, but it may have messed up the boot loader settings - esp.
10 if the poster had set up the MSWindows boot manager to chainload their Linux
11 OS.
14 > Do modern motherboards still allow you the option of running under the
15 > traditional BIOS? I've not seen this mentioned in any of the motherboard
16 > descriptions recently.
17
18 From what I have seen there is a conventional BIOS compatibility setting, to
19 allow booting vanilla MBR disks.
22 Regards,
23 Mick