From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI booting again - FIXED
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:08:16
1 On Monday, 19 October 2020 13:08:35 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 11 October 2020 23:21:49 -00 peter@××××××××××××.uk wrote:
3 > > Can anyone please tell me precisely where 'efibootmgr -c ...' writes a
4 > > boot
5 > > record, or whatever it's called? My machine seems unable to store what I
6 > > give it, and I suspect that the BIOS ROM has failed. Big expense if so.
7 >
8 > I have a bootable system again.
9 >
10 > In one line: I need Windows as part of my system maintenance.
11 >
12 > Yes, I did mean to write that. Let me explain.
13 >
14 > Every attempt of mine to write bootable images failed. I still don't know
15 > why, but while I was trying everything I could think of, I ran Windows (on
16 > /dev/ sdb) to restore a system image (from /dev/sda; /root is on
17 > /dev/nvme0n1). On rebooting, lo! and behold! there was a boot menu! It was
18 > an old one, dating from when I created the system image in Windows, but
19 > after booting from USB and adding the right kernels and /boot/loader/
20 > structure, and running 'bootclt update', a reboot showed me the proper boot
21 > menu.
22 >
23 > A kernel upgrade arrived today, so after installing it and updating the
24 > /boot/ loader config, I ran Windows again to create a new system image.
25 >
26 > So on my machine, efibootmgr is no use. I have to use bootctl from
27 > systemd-boot to manage my bootable images. And Windows to preserve them.
28 >
29 > I've attached a shot of the boot menu I've been referring to in this thread.
30 > It's not pretty, but there's only so much I can do with a curved screen and
31 > a hand-held phone.
32
33 I am confused ...
34
35 Are you saying calling 'efibootmgr -v' lists a different UEFI boot menu? o_O