From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cross-compile attempt
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2016 15:23:19
1 On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 07:40:37PM +0100, Mick wrote
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I am dipping my toe into cross-compile territory, in order to build i686
5 > binaries for a 32bit box, which is too old to do its own emerges. I am using
6 > an amd64 box which is significantly faster to do all the heavy lifting and
7 > started applying this page:
8 >
9 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Embedded_Handbook/General/Creating_a_cross-compiler
10
11 "True cross-compiling" is a pain. It will not work for non trivial
12 stuff, which builds against glib/glibc and other system libraries,
13 unless you pull in a whole bunch of "compatability libraries" for the
14 target architecture. On my "no-multilib" system, it doesn't work.
15 Sure, distcc "works transparently", but a bunch of builds get sent back
16 to the target machine to be done. That defeats the whole point of
17 distcc, which is to do all the work on the more powerful machine...
18
19 I recommend going with one of 3 "cheats"...
20
21 1) A 32-bit chroot in a 64-bit machine
22
23 2) A QEMU (or VirtualBox) 32-bit guest on a 64-bit host
24
25 3) If you have a spare 64-bit machine, install 32-bit Gentoo on it
26
27 I use option 2) both as my distccd server and to manually build Pale
28 Moon. The target in both cases is an ancient 32-bit-only Atom netbook.
31 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
32 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications