From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 18:54:18
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Ryan Tandy [mailto:tarpman@×××××.com]
3 > Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:11 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
6 >
7 > Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
8 > > At this point then, I am going to actually build a second box for
9 snort
10 > > perhaps using the hardened sources (I am not in the least
11 comfortable
12 > > with running hardened on a production box).
13 >
14 > Wrong. The correct sentiment should be "I am not in the least
15 > comfortable with running NON-hardened on a production box". :)
16 >
17 > ESPECIALLY for network-accessible devices.
18 > --
19 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
20
21 [Timothy A. Holmes]
22
23 Randy:
24
25 That may be, however, I have seen far to many complaints about
26 instability in the hardened systems to be comfortable using them in a
27 production environment. Another user here in my area is working to
28 change my mind, but at this point, unless something changes
29 dramatically, hardened in my mind is a specialty subset for very
30 isolated applications that are very very crash tolerant. The problem in
31 my mind is that if the system is so unstable that it will not properly
32 function with a major component like X, I am worried that it may prove
33 unstable with other applications as well. It seems quite often that I
34 see messages going past someone has had a problem with hardened and more
35 often then not, these are fairly critical problems -- while it may be
36 that hardened sources are fine, I have high doubts about them, and
37 specifically their stability. I realize that this topic has the
38 potential to very quickly become a flame fest, and I have no desire for
39 this to happen, but at the same time, I cant risk a critical system on
40 unstable sources either. I am open to the possibility of using them,
41 BUT, for now it will be in parallel with sources that I KNOW work
42 correctly. I cant risk our network to be part of an experiment.
45 Timothy A. Holmes
46 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
47
48 Medina Christian Academy
49 A Higher Standard...
50