From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] !!! section ‘local’ in repos.conf has name different from ...
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 17:26:48
1 Hi, everyone,
2
3 I’m trying to install steam-overlay using https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam
4
5 I have 3 boxes on which I try to maintain gentoo setups as identical as
6 possible. The steam install has gone smoothly on 2 boxes, but is failing
7 on the 3rd.
8
9 When I get to this steam installation step on the 3rd box:
10 # emaint sync —repo steam-overlay
11
12 I get the error
13 !!! Section ‘local’ in repos.conf has name different from repository
14 ‘steam-overlay’ set inside repository
15 which prevents me from syncing and installing steam on this machine.
16
17 I’m interpreting this as the two repositories (local and steam-overlay)
18 somehow knowing about each other and somehow getting their configurations
19 intertwined.
20
21 My repos.conf directory on this 3rd machine is identical to the other 2
22 machines (which don’t exhibit this error).
23
24 .../repos.conf/local.conf maintains a local overlay in /usr/local/portage
25 for a handful of personal packages/ebuilds.
26
27 .../repos.conf/steam-overlay.conf maintains its overlay in
28 /usr/local/portage/steam-overlay.
29
30 Neither of these two files contain the other overlay’s name, i.e.,
31 local.conf doesn’t refer to steam-overlay nor does steam-overlay.conf refer
32 to local. The two files point to different storage locations for their
33 respective repositories.
34
35 So I don’t understand how these two repositories know of each other’s
36 existence. Or maybe I don’t understand the error message.
37
38 Google doesn’t report many instances of this error, and following up with
39 them hasn’t produced a solution.
40
41 Any ideas about what’s happening?
42