From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI kernel installation?
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 15:22:50
1 On Saturday, 15 June 2019 14:04:16 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > The main system on this box is ~amd64 plasma, but I also have a small rescue
5 > system which is amd64, no desktop. I use bootctl from systemd-boot to
6 > manage the UEFI images.
7 >
8 > My question is: how much of the bootctl-installed image is essential for
9 > booting? In other words, if I install the ~amd64 kernel (5.1.9), what effect
10 > will that have on booting the rescue system; and if I install the amd64
11 > kernel (4.19.44), what effect will it have on booting the plasma system?
12 >
13 > In practice, I install the ~amd64 kernel and hope it doesn't affect the
14 > rescue system too much; and it seems not to. Could I do better?
15
16 Assuming I've understood correctly your question, since this is the same box
17 and both kernels will be booting the same hardware, with similar modules, it
18 shouldn't make any odds what OS installation you decide to boot into with any
19 of two given kernels.
22 Regards,
23 Mick