From: Daddy <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:51:03
1 On March 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 07:27:05AM -0400, Daddy wrote
4 >
5 > > Having personally long considered Lennart Poettering a 'spawn of
6 > > the devil' my question is ... is this your reaction to systemd?
7 >
8 > It's my reaction to the "Windows-isation" and "Firefox-isation" of
9 > linux. So far I've managed to keep systemd and hal and dbus and
10 > pulseaudio off my machines. I agree with Linus Torvalds that linux is
11 > getting bloated and huge and scary...
12 >
13 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/22/linus_torvalds_linux_bloated_huge/
16 We share the same opinions there. To me the Linux distros have shot their
17 desktops in the foot; instead of getting _better_ than the competition, IMO
18 they've actually gotten worse in the last 5 years.
19
20 Will joyfully read that from Linus after my nap. (Probably did long ago and
21 forgot it.)
24 > > One minor typo to point out:
25 > >
26 > > /atc/portage/package.mask should be /etc/portage/package.mask
27 >
28 > Thanks; fixed now.
32 Even when I can't offer code changes, typos are easy (having grown up in
33 the newspaper and printing business).
36 > > I just joined this list last week, but might consider sacrificing
37 > > some hardware to join your endeavor if you need more testers.
38 >
39 > I have a couple of regular desktops here at home, and a desktop
40 > dedicted to my TV, plus a netbook, and a laptop. So far, I've run into
41 > only one situation where laziness on my part ends up requiring udev.
42 > The laptop has an ATI Radeon chip that requires emerging radeon-ucode.
43 > That ebuild simply dumps a bunch of binary blobs into a library folder.
44 > The kernel loads one of the binary blobs at bootup. Radeon-ucode has
45 > blobs for 2 or 3 dozen differnt Radeon GPU models. If I leave all the
46 > binary blobs in the library folder, the kernel needs udev to figure out
47 > which blob to load. But, if I leave only the correct blob for my GPU in
48 > the library folder (move/delete all the others), it loads properly
49 > without any help from udev.
50 >
51 > --
52 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
55 iamben in #gentoo on IRC has piqued my interest to build a HTPC. Friday I
56 put a 60G SSD and a 1TB mechanical drive on a board, partitioned the SDD,
57 and d/led stage3 and portage before stopping. That and the earlier
58 mentioned test machine will be my builds for tomorrow. Actually the HTPC is
59 a strange idea, since we don't watch or even own a TV, but it might be a
60 way to sell some of this hardware on my shelf.
61
62 Kindest regards,
63 Bruce Hill
64 --
65 sig to come after punching a hole in the LAN and starting mutt on the
66 server