From: Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to embark on x32
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 07:27:07
1 On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 09:46:33PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > So I'm about to try setting up the x32 arch in a VM. I notice there's no
3 > handbook for it, though there is for amd64 and x86. I'm considering x32
4 > for its lighter memory footprint...
5 >
6 > Does anyone know of any notable differences between the setup process
7 > for amd64 and x32, or should I expect things to be relatively smooth?
10 I think that there are some problems with packages that rely on assembly
11 code (as there would have x32 specific assembly) so you get either
12 unoptimised binarys (if assembly is just for performance reasons) or
13 compilation will fail at all.
14 That was the reasoning why it's ten years too late (back then the same
15 problem existed with x86_64 - the asm needed to be ported).