From: Andreas Niederl <rico32@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] perfect IDE
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 20:32:43
1 Hi,
2
3 Andrei Hanganu wrote:
4 > helo group,
5 >
6 > i've been trying the past 2-3 years to find the most usable and nice ide
7 > for c/c++ code writing. I've been through vim/vim + plugins/emacs +
8 > different modes/anjuta/kdevelop/codeblocks/eclipse/netbeans ... every
9 > single one of them has at least one drawback.
10
11 I'm thinking the more I get to know Vim and the available plugins, the
12 more it becomes like an IDE to me. I guess the same is true for Emacs.
13
14 My advice would be to take on of those or any other open IDE and learn
15 and extend them to the point that it's perfect for you.
18 Now for your feature requirements list I'm going to concentrate on Vim
19 and Emacs as those two are the ones I know.
22 > In short words, i am looking for an ide that can do this:
23 > - syntax highlighting
24 > - concurrent editing of multiple files (splitting)
25 > - tabs or buffer list
26 > - file browser
27 > - regex search/replace
28
29 Both Vim and Emacs can do these basic features.
30 Vim even provides a mechanism for saving and restoring editing sessions.
33 > - autocomplete (on the fly, not on demand, and maybe smart? - identify
34 > structures/classes )
35
36 Haven't tried it yet, but for Vim word_complete.vim[1] seems to be what
37 you're looking for. You should also have a look at Omnicompletion.
38
39 As Emacs has hooks for nearly everything it should be doable with it as
40 well.
43 > - project manager
44
45 Don't know about that but it would be nice to have simpler project
46 specific settings for Emacs/Vim.
49 > - symbol list/browser current editing buffer
50
51 That's pretty much ctags/etags, maybe cscope.
54 > - flexible build options that include scons, not just makefile
55
56 You can put the following in ~/.vimrc:
57 autocmd BufEnter ~/path/to/project/* set makeprg=scons
60 > - code folding (with detection of blocks)
61
62 Vim does it[2]; Emacs seems to have some kind of FoldingMode according
63 to Google.
66 > - lightweight/ergonomic interface (i dislike space being occupied by the
67 > bar that displays the line numbers, with a padding of 10px for example)
68
69 Both of them are very customisable in this regard.
73 > i don't desire gdb or valgrind integration, but would be a +
74
75 Emacs features gdb integration and there's Clewn[3] for GVim.
76 As for me, I'm rather using a separate screen[4] window in the same session.
80 Regards,
81 Andi
82
83 [1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=73