From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 20:03:40
1 On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 12:13 PM Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 12/11/2022 18:22, Dale wrote:
4 > > Where does one go for a list of the LTS kernels? Since I reboot so
5 > > rarely, what not use one of them?? Of course, the kernel I have in use
6 > > now has long uptimes so it is sort of LTS for this rig anyway.
7 >
8 > Do you REALLY want an LTS kernel? Sounds like you don't. You need to
9 > update them just as much as any other kernel.
10 >
11 > The point of an LTS kernel is it supposed to NOT receive feature
12 > updates, just bug fixes. Given that Artificial Stupidity bots regularly
13 > try to apply updates to stable kernels, is it worth restricting yourself
14 > to old kernels? Especially when it's not unknown for a bot to try to
15 > backport a patch from kernel X+2, when it depends on a patch from X+1
16 > that hasn't been backported, and anybody using that code finds their
17 > "stable" kernel blowing up in their face.
18 >
19 > The idea behind stable kernels is great. The implementation leaves a lot
20 > to be desired and, as always, the reason is not enough manpower.
21 >
22 > Cheers,
23 > Wol
24
25 Wol,
26 While I don't completely disagree with your technical points I
27 really don't think your assessment of the purpose of a LTS kernel
28 is wide ranging enough.
29
30 I do agree that from what I know of Dale's usage he probably
31 doesn't NEED a long term support kernel, but he may be better
32 off with one.
33
34 If you are user of apps you pay for - in my case Mixbus - an paid
35 version of Ardour - and PixInsight then you are not going to get
36 much support if you're off in the weeds running Gentoo and/or
37 leading edge kernels. I run Kubuntu now, but not because I think
38 it's a better distro, but because I get support. Harrison does all
39 the dirty work on the audio stack and Pleiades Astro basically
40 says you're on your own running unless you are on just a couple of
41 distros. They were no help when I ran Gentoo. They are great
42 under Kubuntu.
43
44 An additional point is that if Dale limits himself to an LTS
45 kernel then he doesn't have to worry about changes to his
46 tool chain. I'm just waiting for the day that Rust becomes
47 a driving conversation point on this list. I don't think Dale
48 wants or needs to be involved in that.
49
50 Anyway, just my point of view.
51
52 Best wishes,