From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.1...
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:29:38
1 080828 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
2 > 080828 BRM wrote:
3 >> I have been trying to hold out for KDE 4.1 entering the Gentoo tree
4 >> and some kind of announcement on the list; is there any known timeline
5 >> for when KDE 4.1 might go to the testing branch?
6
7 I too am waiting to see KDE 4.1 appear in the testing list.
8 The KDE devs are always short-staffed, so let's give them a big cheer,
9 but a few words of their plans would help KDE users (smile).
10
11 > Reading all those KDE4 reviews I really can not understand
12 > why KDE4 may be more useful for me rather KDE3.
13
14 My estimate (also based on reading & screenshots) is
15 that it is 60 % eye candy, 30 % hype & 10 % useful improvements:
16 the basic motivation is to make it work well with Qt 4 .
17 Dolphin is offered as a simpler alternative to Konqueror file-management,
18 but I use CLI everyday with Krusader for heavy lifting occasionally
19 (I also have Vifm installed, but have little actual use for it);
20 Gwenview apparently has an improved interface; however,
21 the Kicker panel (renamed) is still not fully configurable.
22
23 Otherwise, KDE 3.5.10 was announced yesterday.
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca