From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads up: Gentoo fouls up mail transport agent.
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 22:11:34
1 On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 5:03 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > Right at the moment, I feel a lot of sympathy with Alan Grimes, and need
5 > a lot of restraint in avoiding the use of swear words in describing some
6 > Gentoo developer.
7 >
8 > ...
9 >
10 > nullmailer installs a file /usr/sbin/sendmail. This masks out the
11 > correct /usr/bin/sendmail (which is a symbolic link to s/qmail, which I
12 > installed by hand, not using emerge) because /usr/sbin is before
13 > /usr/bin in $PATH.
14 >
15 > ...
16 >
17 > But what's the proper method to tell my gentoo system that I don't want
18 > crud like nullmailer installed? How can I guard myself against such
19 > presumptiousness on the part of the Gentoo devs in the future?
20
21 You must have installed a package that depends on virtual/mta,
22 presumably because it needs to send emails. Had you installed qmail
23 using portage, the virtual/mta dep would have been satisfied by it,
24 and nullmailer would not have been installed in the first place.
25 However, you didn't do that, and so portage had no idea qmail was
26 installed.
27
28 A possible workaround would be to add mail-mta/netqmail to
29 package.provided on your system. However, there's still no guarantee
30 that your custom-built qmail software will work with other packages
31 provided by Gentoo.
32
33 Regarding your accusations: Gentoo developers cannot anticipate every
34 possible thing you might do on your system, especially when you start
35 installing custom programs in paths that are traditionally managed by
36 our package manager. Using portage you can customize your system
37 extensively, without needing to custom build your own software. If
38 that's not good enough for you, go build a Linux from Scratch system
39 and enjoy the lack of any package management or support whatsoever.