From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 20:45:10
1 Am Thu, Dec 08, 2022 at 06:36:14PM +0000 schrieb Wols Lists:
2
3 > > > I've pretty much reached a limit on my backups.  I'm up to a 16TB hard
4 > > > drive for one and even that won't last long.  Larger drives are much
5 > > > more costly.  A must have NAS is quickly approaching.  I've been
6 > > > searching around and find some things confusing.  I'm hoping someone can
7 > > > clear up that confusion.  I'm also debating what path to travel down.
8 > > > I'd also like to keep costs down as well.  That said, I don't mind
9 > > > paying a little more for one that would offer a much better option.
10 > > >
11 > > > Path one, buy a NAS, possibly used, that has no drives.  If possible, I
12 > > > may even replace the OS that comes on it or upgrade if I can.  I'm not
13 > > > looking for fancy, or even RAID.  Just looking for a two bay NAS that
14 > > > will work.  First, what is a DAS?  Is that totally different than a
15 > > > NAS?  From what I've found, a DAS is not what I'm looking for since I
16 > > > want a ethernet connection and the ability to control things over the
17 > > > network.  It seems DAS lacks that feature but not real sure.  I'm not
18 > > > sure I can upgrade the software/OS on a DAS either.
19 > > > […]
20 > >
21 > > DAS is direct-attached-storage. I don't think you want that.
22 >
23 > Depends. If it fits in the safe, and can be connected using one of these
24 > eSATA thingy connectors, it might be a very good choice.
25 >
26 > […]
27 >
28 > I get the impression Dale isn't actually PLANNING his disk storage. It's
29 > just a case of "help I'm downloading all this stuff where do I put it!!!"
30
31 Haha, thanks for the laugh.
32
33 > Get yourself a basic 4-way DAS/JBOD setup, PLAN where you're putting all
34 > this stuff, and plug in and remove drives as required. You don't need all
35 > these huge drives if you think about what you're going to do with it all.
36
37 That’s actually a good idea. Either use a hot swap frame for an internal 5¼″
38 PC bay, a desktop dock for bare drives or a multi-bay enclosure. The market
39 is big, you have lots of choices. USB (with or without integrated hub),
40 eSATA, one or two bays, etc: https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=hddocks
41
42 Advantages:
43 - no separate system to maintain just for storage: save $$$, time and power
44 - very flexible: no chassis limitation on number of disks
45 - no bulky external enclosures, each using a different power brick and cable
46 - minimum volume to put into a safe (just get or make a bulk storage case)
47
48 Disadvantages:
49 - not as “fancy” as a NAS
50 - possibly not all disks can be used at the same time
51 - physical handling of naked disks takes more care
52 - LVM is not practical, so use each disk separately
53 - you gotta remember which files are where¹
54 - SATA connectors aren’t made for very many insertion cycles (I think the
55 spec says 50?), which doesn’t mean they endure much more, but still …
56
57 > (And while it takes time and hammers the system, I regularly record off the
58 > TV getting a 2GB .ts file, convert it to mp4 - same resolution - and reduce
59 > the size by an order of magnitude - maybe more.
60
61 Well, ts uses mpeg2 encoding, just like old video DVDs, which is very
62 inefficient when compared with modern h264/h265. Modern digital TV broadcast
63 uses h264 by now.
66 Incidentally, I got myself a new HDD today: an external 2.5″ WD Passport
67 Ultra 5 TB with USB-C 3.0. Just because I like portable storage and also
68 because I need temporary space if I want to convert my NAS RAID-Z2 to Z1.
71 ¹ I do have several external USB disks, plus the big NAS. All of which don’t
72 run very often. And I don’t want to turn them on just to look for a certain
73 file. That’s why I have another little script. ;-) It uses the `tree` command
74 to save the complete content listing of a directory into a text file and
75 names the file automatically by the name of the directory it crawls. So if I
76 want to find a file, I just need to grep through my text files.
79 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
80 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
81
82 The whale is characterised by its bulky form factor.

FileTree text/plain