From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Usb sound and ALSA
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 03:24:24
1 On 10/30/06, Leandro Melo de Sales <leandroal@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi list...
3 >
4 > I have an usb sound system from Gradiente company (an eletronic
5 > device factory) and I plugged it on my system. dmesg command shows
6 > this:
7 >
8 > input: Gradiente AS-M5X0 as /class/input/input3
9 > input: USB HID v1.00 Device [Gradiente AS-M5X0] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-1
10 >
11 > But when I play a mp3 media the sound is not forwarded to my usb
12 > device, instand, the sound is still played through my integrated
13 > laptop device.
14 > On windows I use it without problem. So, what do I have to do to
15 > forward the sound to my usb device?
16
17 Probably windows is disabling any existing sound card or at least
18 making the USB the "default" sound device. Unfortunately there is no
19 equivalent with alsa currently.
20
21 So assuming that you've got the alsa drivers loaded for this device
22 (/proc/asound/cards should contain two entries), you can usually
23 specify alsa device as "hw1,0". The exact method for doing this
24 depends on what app you are using. For example on amarok with the
25 xine it is under Configure Amarok... -> Engine -> ALSA Device
26 Configuration. If you enter hw1,0 for Stereo there, then 2 channel
27 audio should be played on the first pcm of the second sound card.
28
29 You should also be able to do this with a .asoundrc file, with an entry like:
30
31 pcm.default {
32 type hw
33 card 1
34 device 1
35 }
36
37 The above is really primitive, without any dmix plugin (software
38 mixing), so only one app could use the device at a time unless it does
39 hardware mixing. Mostly this is just to give you an idea of where to
40 look! ;-)
41
42 -Richard
43 --