From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No torrent upload
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:09:45
1 Am Dienstag 12 Juni 2007 16:44 schrieb Albert Hopkins:
2 > On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 16:27 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
3 > > > Have you tried running netstat?
4 > >
5 > > netstat
6 > > Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
7 > > Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
8 > > tcp 0 1 HOMER_GENTOO64.PHHE:ftp 212-87-13-68.sds.:40202
9 > > FIN_WAIT1
10 > >
11 > > Active UNIX domain sockets (w/o servers)
12 > > Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path
13 > > unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 975
14 > > @/org/kernel/udev/udevd
15 > > [...]
16 > > nothing interesting except the first line.
17 >
18 > So you see no SYN requests to your server on port 21
19 >
20 > > > Have you ensured rtorrent is
21 > > > listning on TCP 21 (in Linux you usually have to be running as root to
22 > > > do this)
23 > >
24 > > Yes. It runs as root (not that I would like it, maybe I should chroot
25 > > it...) and port 21 is rtorrent's only chance to download. So, it works.
26 >
27 > Chrooting is not going to get around needding root access to listen on
28 > port 21. Plus don't you still need to be root to chroot?
29
30 Yes, but rtorrent would be jailed in that chroot, wouldn't it? Therefore it
31 could break nothing but it self if it goes crazy.
32
33 > > You mean stuff like iptables? No.
34 >
35 > This is my theory but I haven't verified it. Bittorrent clients are
36 > programmed to listen/connect to a range of ports by default (I think it
37 > starts at 6882). Your client is connecting and saying "connect to me on
38 > port 21". The other clients see this but it's not in their IP range so
39 > they refuse to connect to you. You might be able to tell your client to
40 > listen on tcp/21 but that doesn't mean everyone else has told their
41 > clients to connect.
42 >
43 > But if you are sure this *has* worked then that would make my theory
44 > incorrect. Like I said I've never verified it, but that seems like the
45 > likely scenario.
46 >
47 > The other scenario is if you're not even seeing SYN requests is that
48 > requests are being blocked to your computer from that port, possibly by
49 > your ISP. But again if this were the case then it should also be the
50 > case for Windows, Knoppix, etc.
51 >
52 > Can you verify your claim (i.e. go into knoppix or whatever, run
53 > rtorrent on tcp/21 and verify via netstat that clients are connecting to
54 > you on that port)?
57 I'll verify it as soon as I can reboot again (I'm currently emerging a lot of
58 stuff in three chroots - what a headache...). Maybe my ISP changed his
59 policies in the last few months ...