From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] extending /usr partition...
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:44:27
1 I never said LVM would do data recovery or provide Data Integrity - thats the job of the soft-RAID - though even that won't prevent PEBKAC errors (e.g. delete file).
2
3 And LVM adds more than a 'little' complexity.
4
5 If I had just lost the drive, I would have known exactly what I had lost as I would have known exactly what partitions were lost and what they mapped to by simply looking at /etc/fstab.
6
7 However, with LVM, I had to deconstruct the VG to figure out what partitions were lost and see if any remaining partitions were only partially there - and do it all by hand at that. That's more than a slight inconvenience, and takes a lot more time.
8
9 I'm not blaming LVM for a "user error". I am, however, pointing out a weakness of using VGs.
10
11 Ben
15 ----- Original Message ----
16 From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
17 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
18 Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2009 4:42:12 AM
19 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] extending /usr partition...
20