From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Teaching Linux to remember USB
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:49:28
1 On 2/26/06, daniel <danstemporaryaccount@×××××.ca> wrote:
2 > What I'd like to know is how to plug it in and have it always get the same id.
3 > Is this even possible?
4
5 Write udev rules to create persistent device names.
6
7 An example from my /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules file:
8 BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]2", SYSFS{serial}=="300000005AF6",
9 SYMLINK="%k", NAME="backups%e"
10
11 > I just want my normal user to always be able to mount
12 > my flash drive without having to su to root to edit fstab first.
13
14 You could also use filesystem labels in /etc/fstab. Instead of
15 /dev/sdX, use LABEL=mylabel as the device name. You can set
16 filesystem labels on any current filesystem. For example with ext3,
17 you use e2label.
18
19 With this, you don't need to mess with udev rules.
20
21 -Richard
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list