From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:10:05
1 On 2/24/2010 8:41 AM, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 03:38:09PM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 02/24/2010 04:27 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 >>> I've been using KDE for a long time, for reasons that are no longer
5 >>> important to me. I have remained out of pure inertia.
6 >>> I use gnome happily at work, both on Fedora and Ubuntu. All I need from
7 >>> any of them is a panel with some favorites, and a pager for multiple
8 >>> desktops.
9 >>> I spend most of my time in vim, in the C program and documentation
10 >>> toolchains or in a browser.
11 >>>
12 >>> The reason I bring this up is that my account just froze on me from
13 >>> running out of disk space. A little research showed that an
14 >>> odd-sounding thing called nepomuk was using 7.2 G (SEVEN GIGS) in some
15 >>> dotfiles. It turns out to be a KDE client - whatever that is. I've got
16 >>> a lot of space here and there, but my /home partition was never near
17 >>> full before.
18 >>
19 >> Put "-semantic-desktop" in your make.conf. emerge -auDN world. emerge
20 >> -a --depclean. That should do it.
24 > Is that even possible? Won't a number of KDE apps demand the semantic-desktop use flag set?
27 For KDE 4.4, +semantic-desktop is mandatory, though you can still turn
28 off the services after installing them.
29
30 Honestly, for what the OP appears to need out of a desktop environment,
31 he'd be more than happy with Xfce or something and save a ton of disk space.
32
33 --Mike